UNISON believe that everyone has the right to work in a safe and healthy environment. The role of health and safety is becoming more crucial as staff reduce and pressure and stresses increase. Many of our members know what it’s like to experience stress, violence or accidents and injuries at work. Tackling health and safety is also a very good way of organising in the workplace.
The Branch campaign locally for better workplace conditions and report on employers when they fail to comply with legislation.
There are two Branch Health and Safety Officers:
- Duncan Simpson, who works at Applegrove Primary School and can be contacted on 01309 690376.
- Steve Clegg, who works at Brumley Brae and can be contacted on 01343 548739.
Safety reps would typically monitor health and safety in the workplace, carry out inspections and ensure proper risk assessments are carried out. We need people in every workplace to act as advisors and watchdogs on health and safety issues.
You will receive full training and support from UNISON as well as paid time off from your employer to carry out your union role.
UNISON provides special introductory and follow up courses for health and safety reps. Contact the branch to find out when and where the next training course will be held.
Like stewards, safety reps are chosen by union members, not the employer.
For more information on becoming a health and safety representative contact the branch or the Branch Health and Safety Officers.
- A guide for UNISON safety – Stress at Work
- Bullying at Work – Guidelines for UNISON Branches, Stewards and Safety Reps
- Trades Union Congress – Know Your Rights – Bullied at Work